Manslaughter defendant back in jail

4 mins read

AUGUSTA – A Wilton man accused of actions leading to the death of his girlfriend’s 17-month-old child is back in jail today, after police say they found irregularities with the bail posted for his release.

David Cook, 25, was returned to custody following a bail hearing scheduled after police arrested a family friend who had bailed Cook out of the Franklin County Jail on Jan. 6. According to Deputy Attorney General William Stokes, who is the chief of the criminal division within the Attorney General’s Office, Cook’s bail was not changed at today’s hearing, which was held at the Kennebec County Superior Court in Augusta.

Jamie Badeau, 24, of Wilton, was arrested Thursday and charged with aggravated forgery, a Class B felony. Badeau bailed Cook out with $100,000 surety by putting up her residence on the Walker Hill Road. However, according to a Maine State Police detective’s affidavit, Badeau’s home had previously been foreclosed on, and is being held as collateral for a loan by Franklin Savings Bank.

David Cook

As Badeau had reportedly indicated that her residence had in excess of $100,000 equity, state police Detective Jeffrey Love arrested her Thursday on the forgery charge. Badeau has been charged with aggravated forgery because she allegedly lied on a public record filed with the court system. This elevates the charge from simply forgery, which is typically a Class C felony.

To convict Badeau of forgery, the state will need to prove that she not only falsely signed the bail bond, but did so knowingly, with an intent to deceive.

Maine State Police spokesman Stephen McCausland said today that Badeau appeared to be a friend of the Cook family.

Cook had been charged with manslaughter, a Class A felony, following an investigation into the Nov. 29 death of Matteo Hanson. A police affidavit indicates that Cook told investigators that Hanson died as the result of a fall down a flight of stairs in a two-story apartment, and that Hanson was either pushed by his three-year-old sister or fell accidentally on his own.

However, the state’s Medical Examiner’s Office has said that their examination of Hanson led them to believe that his injuries were the result of severe force, and could not have occurred via a fall. They also say the autopsy indicated signs of half-healed injuries, including rib fractures and contusions, as well as a fracture on the back of the child’s skull.

Cook was released on a $100,000 surety bond, posted by Badeau, on Jan. 6.

According to an affidavit filed with court, Love was notified by the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department that bail had been posted by Cook. He then spoke with Badeau’s ex-husband, who told him that Franklin Savings Bank began foreclosing on Badeau’s property in 2007.

“I explained to [Badeau’s ex-husband] that Jaime [Badeau] is reporting to have $100,000 worth of equity in the residence,” Love wrote in the affidavit. “[He] stated that he seriously doubted it unless somebody gave her a bunch of money.”

Love then asked the Attorney General’s Office to subpoena Badeau’s bank records. According to these records, police say, Badeau did not in fact have any equity on her property at 113 Walker Hill Road.

Badeau was arrested and released Thursday, on a $500 cash bond.

Cook’s next scheduled court appearance remains a March 20 status conference, although a grand jury indictment could result in him appearing in court earlier than that. As Justice Michaela Murphy did not alter the bail conditions at today’s hearing, Cook could still be released on $50,000 cash or $100,000 surety.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email