UPDATE 1:41 p.m.
JAY – A student of the RSU 73 district was taken into custody on a charge of terrorizing today, the Jay police chief confirmed Friday afternoon.
Police Chief Richard Caton IV said that the juvenile, a student of the district, had been charged in relation to a note that was discovered this morning. That note prompted a brief lockdown of both the middle and high school buildings out of an abundance of caution, per the school district. That lockdown was lifted within a couple of hours.
A note communicating a bomb threat was also found Thursday in the middle school, prompting an evacuation of that building and a search by Maine State Police dogs. Caton said that Thursday’s incident remained under investigation.
** UPDATE 11:04 a.m. **
JAY – Regional School Unit 73 facilities are now out of lockdown. According to the district, police have located a suspect and are “dealing with them appropriately.”
The district’s middle and high schools were locked down this morning after a note was discovered. The lockdown comes after the middle school was evacuated Thursday due to another note that was located in a bathroom.
While the district intends to continue with the students’ previously planned school day, parents are welcome to pickup their children if they wish to. District personnel will be in front of both the middle and high schools to offer assistance but no one will be allowed into the school buildings. Parents are asked to be patient with the release process.
** UPDATE 9:39 a.m. **
JAY – Spruce Mountain Middle School and High School were both placed in lockdown this morning, after a note was found.
The lockdowns come one day after a bomb threat evacuated the middle school. That threat was communicated by a note that was found taped to a bathroom stall.
RSU 73 announced the lockdown of both buildings Friday morning “out of an abundance of caution, nothing that the school resource officer and Jay Police Department were already in the building The content and location of Friday’s note was not released.
** UPDATE **
JAY – A bomb threat that evacuated Spruce Mountain Middle School on Thursday, June 2, was determined to be a hoax according to information from Superintendent Scott Albert.
The threat was made by way of a note taped to a bathroom stall within the school. Once reported to administration, students were evacuated to the high school whereupon all students throughout the district were sent home.
According to a press release from Albert, Maine State Police utilized bomb sniffing dogs to thoroughly search the building. The school’s resource officer and the Jay Police Department assisted. No evidence of a bomb was found. Officers are working to find the person responsible for the crime.
“Lastly, I wanted to thank all of my staff, throughout the district who handled themselves professionally and worked hard to make sure all of our students were safe in this stressful situation,” Albert wrote.
JAY – A bomb threat was reported at Spruce Mountain Middle School on Thursday afternoon around 12 p.m. All students were safely evacuated to the nearby high school where they are awaiting dismissal. All students throughout the district will be dismissed beginning at 1 p.m.
According to an email from Superintendent Scott Albert, parents can pick up their children before then if they wish, using the “concert entrance” at the back of the high school.