Founders Day Aug. 24

1 min read

STRATTON – The Dead River Area Historical Society will celebrate the founders of Eustis, “The Stevens Family,” from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 24.

Caleb Stevens (1776-1854) journeyed, with his wife Hanna and seven children, from Kingfield to the intersection of Stratton Brook and the Dead River in the fall of 1818. They walked as far as Carrabassett the first day and arrived to their destination on the second day.

Those interested may read the history of the family in the early wilderness of Maine as written by a family member in the Franklin Chronicle in the late 1800s.

These special days are not presentations, but a gathering of people knowledgeable about the featured subject.

On display in the museum are artifacts, manuscripts and photographs that have been donated or loaned by interested townspeople and descendants of original families of the Dead River Region.

Collections from 1850 on include old carpentry and logging tools, china, glass, church organ, furniture from native families, a complete schoolroom, a memorial room to the “lost” towns of Flagstaff and Dead River, the lineage of several native families, and memorabilia from native homesteads.

For more information, call Mary Henderson at 246-2271.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email