Eugene Linwood Mosher (1930-2008)

4 mins read

CHESTERVILLE – Eugene Linwood Mosher, husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather and friend to many passed, away on July 15, 2008.

Son to Walter E. and Erna (Smith) Mosher, he was born on July 16, 1930 on Mosher Hill Road in Farmington.  He married Winona J. Merrow on April 29, 1961 in North Livermore.  They have been married for 47 years and have eight children together.  He is survived by six daughters: Theresa Mosher, Jennifer Lanterman and husband, Jack; Gail McCluskey and husband, Michael; Evelyn Nelson and husband, Terry; Jeanette Ouellet and husband, Joseph and Amy Mosher; two sons: Levi Mosher and Basil Mosher and companion, Lori White; 15 grandchildren: Amanda Goullette and husband, Josh; Jared and Travis Lanterman, Jeremy McCluskey, Ericka and Emiley Toothaker, Vincent, Alex, Kimmi and Blake Nelson; Ashli, Brittany, Chaeleigh and Joey Ouellet, Jr., and Joseph White.; two great-grandchildren: Gabriel and Nathaniel Gouellete.

Eugene was educated in Farmington and graduated in 1948 from Farmington High School. While in high school he was very active in the school band and played many instruments.  He was a member of chorus, glee club and 4H and was a member of the track and field team. His hobbies included fishing locally as well as deep sea fishing, farming, camping, woodworking, cooking and storytelling.

He owned Mosher’s Insurance in Norridgewock for many years, after which he became a substitute mail carrier for several local post offices before taking his own full-time route in 1984 in Farmington, retiring in 1993.  He was a member of the Rural Letter Carriers Association.  In 2000, he started driving for the SAD#9 bus garage, where he worked for eight years driving special-needs children, who held a special place in his heart.

Eugene joined the Norridgewock Fire Dept. in 1965 and was past vice president and treasurer of the Maine State Federation Firefighters for Somerset County. He transferred to the Farmington Fire Dept. in 1984.

Throughout his lifetime, he was a very active community member and belonged to many organizations. He was a 63-year member of Farmington Grange #12, was Master of the Grange for many years, and held a variety of offices. He was past master of Lebenon Masonic Lodge in Norridgewock and transferred to Maine Lodge #20 in Farmington where he was a member of the
York Right Bodies.  He was past patron of the Order of the Eastern Star #143, Farmington and was an active participant of the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls. Eugene was a life-long member of the Order of the Oddfellows #58 and served on the building committee and helped establish a scholarship fund for the organization.

He is greatly loved and will be sadly missed. Our memories with him will forever be treasured.

Family and friends are invited to call at the Wiles Remembrance Center, 137 Farmington Falls Rd., (Rtes. 2 & 27) Farmington, on Tuesday afternoon and evening from 2-4 and 6-8 PM.  Funeral services and committal prayers will be held at the Center Wednesday morning at 11 AM with Rev. Stanley Wheeler, officiating. Private burial at Fairview Cemetery, Farmington.  Following services, all are welcome to attend a celebration of Eugene’s life at the Farmington Grange in West Farmington (beside the Post Office).  Those who desire may give gifts in his memory to the Eugene and Winona Mosher Scholarship Fund, TDBank North Mt. Blue Shopping Plaza, Rtes. 2 & 4 Farmington, Me.  04938. Att.: Susie Millet.  This annual scholarship will be used for local students pursing careers in the medical field, nursing and/or EMT Fire and Rescue.

Online condolences may be shared with his family by sending an e-mail to wilesfuneralhomes@verizon.net

Print Friendly, PDF & Email