Castleton edges Farmington 3-2

2 mins read

CASTLETON, VT – The Castleton State College men’s soccer team survived a second-half comeback to defeat visiting University of Maine-Farmington 3-2 in North Atlantic Conference action at Alumni

Castleton jumped out to a 1-0 lead during the sixth minute of play as Jon Vogt scored his first goal of the season. Vogt one touched a perfectly placed pass from Fitzgerald past Farmington keeper, Matthew Dennett to give the Spartans the early advantage. Castleton tacked on another goal with just over 10 minutes remaining to make it 2-0. Ryan Hahn struck a shot that was deflected nicely by Dennett, but Gerrit Marino corralled the rebound and sent it home for his second goal of the season. Greg Klopfer, who played the ball outside to Hahn, initiated the play from the middle of the field.

Farmington, playing a man down due to a red card during the 24th minute, rallied behind two James Tollefson goals during the opening four minutes of the second half. During the 47th minute of play, Tollefson headed home his first of the afternoon. Patrick Martin headed a long throw-in from Daniel Horne, inside the six-yard line, and then Tollefson headed it past Castelton keeper, Mike Anthony. Tollefson scored his second goal just two minutes later, set up again by a Horne throw-in.
Horne threw the ball deep into the box, and after Castleton failed to clear it, Tollefson sent it home.

Castleton’s Fitzgerald tallied the game winner during the 60th minute on a header past Dennett. Klopfer took a direct-kick from 25 yards out, and sent a perfect ball inside to Fitzgerald for the score.

Dennett stopped four shots as Farmington falls to 3-4 overall and 2-1 in conference play. Anthony also stopped four shots in the win. The Spartans are back in action on Saturday, October 4 when they play host to Skidmore College at 2:00 pm in a non-conference match-up. Farmington is off until Oct. 8 when the Beavers travel to Colby College for a 4 p.m. non-conference affair.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email